New beginning day 1

Today is my first day in Telupid.

Drove 3.5 hours to reach, was having a pleasant drive enjoying the great view of kundasang and mount kinabalu.

Reach KK telupid and went into my colleague’s house (sharing house with him). Initially I choose to stay in his house instead of taking another old house, thinking that a relatively new brick house must be better than a wooden house with history.
Who knows?! A concrete brick house still can be worse than an old wooden house (if not being taken care of, cleaned regularly)

After shaking hand with my new housemate (a person whom I query his hygiene level), he led me to my room. And my pleasant feeling all went away right there and then!
Looking into the room, my heart sunk. It was basically empty except an old smelly mattress (it has a brown-black color, eow). There was an unpleasant smell gushing out from that room as he open the room door, making me feeling more uncomfortable.

Walking inside, the room looked worse. I saw the thick dust on the glass window, spiders on the wall with their nets, ants everywhere on the wall as well, carrying their egg or something like that (whitish thingy the size of a rice).

First thing to do was to take a deep breath (calm myself), but the smell of the room, forget it!!!

Started chatting with the no-sense-of –cleanliness housemate, I feel more and more sad.
Why sad? Being told two information that I wasn’t aware of:

1. Choosing to stay in this relatively new, brick house, the almost 1k elaun wilayah will be deducted from my every month salary!!!!!WTF! Even though I am sharing the house with other people, they still will deduct all the elaun wilayah! * should have chosen to stay at the old wooden house, which was too old to be considered as quarter!!!!!! And no need to deduct my elaun! Stupid me? But they will probably not allow to do so la, cos the wooden house got female staffs staying inside, can’t mixed male and female in one house, aih….Malaysia o malaysia

2. The no-sense-of-cleanliness housemate is going to be transferred back to semenanjung next month, leaving me and the other MO here taking care of the klinik kesihatan! * His reasons for transfer: 1. Wife moved back to semenanjung 2. Without elaun wilayah, earning money less compared to when he was HO. Kuang kuang kuang
Aih…what to do, I ignore the information so that I can start cleaning my room (if not how to sleep tonight?!)

Okay, start with sweeping floor, (I am at least smart enough to buy new broom, dustbin, and mop), I saw this big group of ants in the corner of the room, carrying their egg (whitish thing sized of rice), a big bunch of them. And I wonder where the hell they carry their eggs from la!!!!Following their track, I turn the carpet inside out, OMG, with the shock of my life; I see hundred thousands of ants and their eggs under the carpet. Goose bump coming out right away!

I leave the room stat and drove my car to town to buy Mortein (racun nyamuk). I think I spray half a bottle of the Mortein to kill most of the ants and their eggs. After spraying, I continue sweeping the floor to find hundred thousands of dead ants, like a small pile of sand like that!

I sweep –mop the floor and keep repeating this sweep-mop process don’t know how many times, until I think the floor is clean enough, and the Mortein’s chemical is being washed out.

When I go to the toilet to take water for cleaning, I wonder why the toilet light is not functioning. Thinking that the light problem is a new/acute thing, I ask my new housemate: the light problem is new is it? Why not fix it?

New housemate: oh, it was like that quite some time already, but it was too high for me to change the bulb, so I just leave it like that. (OMG, you bath in dark every morning and night?! How did you do that?!)

I am not going to take bath in pitch dark! I drove my car out to town again to buy a new light bulb and change it! Then I took my shower under bright light!

It was a long cleaning process and I am tired. Trying to sleep but I can’t. A very strange and mixed feeling which I can’t really put in words.

I am not regretting my decision to stay and coming to district, but, these unforeseen circumstances really hit me.

There is no other way but to adapt here, which I know I will, soon.

Going to make my room more cozy and comfortable next 1-2 days.

Things to do tomorrow :
1. Getting an air conditioner (don’t care about the money, I need to make myself comfortable)
2. Getting a fridge
3. A new and clean mattress (I slept on the floor tonight)
4. Massive shopping: table, chair, water filter, cupboard, iron board…..

It will be good after settling down, and also a massive cleaning process (for the living room, toilet, kitchen area, argh…..)

Insomnia at the very first night spent in telupid, I finished reading ‘the white tiger’ which I bought from India. It is a really really good book, will write about that book later.

Going back to bed, ops, not bed, is the floor for tonight, hope to get a decent sleep, tomorrow going to report to pengarah hospital Beluran. Thankful, no need to start work straight away, because I still have a lot of cleaning and buying to do for my room/house!

Well, I still can’t sleep.

So we continue with this ‘the white tiger’ by aravind adiga. Aravind, a former Indian correspondent for Times maganize, lives in Mumbai, India. This book was his first novel , and has won him The Man Booker Prize 2008.

I bought it in Udaipur, India. Udaipur is the part of my trip when we can slow down our pace, and take time walking down the streets, and spending time shopping or looking for interesting stuffs. That was the time I have time to go into book store, and think of buying the books suggested by Lonely Planet.

This is the first book store we went in india trip. And this shop keeper strongly recommend us to read the white tiger, when I ask him, which is THE book to read. So, I decided to buy it, at around 350rp. * but after that I realized he sold us at higher price, the retail price should be rp 299. But what the hell, it was still cheap if compared to the price we buy any book in Malaysia. And no doubt, this is THE book to read.

The story was about a successful entrepreneur , writing letter to Wen Jia bao in china. Telling him his point of view for his own country-India, and also his own story. He was born in a family making sweets, which is low class people. His father was a rickshaw puller and he was a servant. But he managed to break out of this fate of being servant to finally become master of many people. In the process, he needed to do something criminal, not ethical, but that is how he broke the cycle of his family fate.

There are so many things about India inside the novel, which are very true but most Indian people don’t see/refuse to admit. It is very bold of the author to write those things in the novel.

Love reading it, especially after my india trip. Because I know the things he wanted to say, the places, the people, the money, the café coffe day….

I would strongly suggest people who has been to india or planning to go india to read this book. Is a must read book!

Comments

  1. hehe...wish you good luck in your future days in Telupid. Nice trip will always give deep impact although you have returned for your life for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

我要减肥!!!

我要减肥 PART 2

The Biggest Loser